Posted 10.28.20 | Open until filled
We seek a seasoned Job Captain to join our studio in LA’s Design Quarter. Tim Barber Architects (TBA) is a Los Angeles-based architecture firm specializing in traditional and contemporary bespoke single-family residential design with a focus on advocating for and integrating sustainable systems in all projects.
This is a full-time position reporting directly to a Project Manager and our Director of Operations. Job Captains also mentor and work directly with Design Associates to ensure the quality of architectural documents and models.
Key Characteristics, Experiences, Skills & Licenses:
- Licensure in the state of California
- 5-year professional architectural degree, or Master’s
- 3 years minimum experience in custom residential design (preferred but not required)
- 3 years minimum experience in construction document management & review
- Extensive professional experience utilizing Revit and AutoCAD
- Familiarity with the IBC, CA Building Code, and general code compliance review
- Familiarity with interior detailing and waterproofing
- Familiarity with 3D Rendering and VR Platforms (Enscape, Lumion, or similar)
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word) proficiency
- Progressing a project through the design process as part of a team, including delegating and training Design Associates
- As-built measurements and drafting
- Drafting and detailing of schematic, permit and construction drawings
- Developing of client and government agency design review presentation drawings
- Supporting project managers in client communications
- Supporting project managers with building and zoning code analysis
- Supporting project managers with city and other government agency permitting processes
- Supporting project managers with coordination of design and building consultants
- Supporting project managers with contractor bidding and selection
- Supporting project managers with site visits and field notes as needed
- Maintaining timely, accurate and kind interpersonal relationships with team members and clients
- Researching and integrating sustainable design
- Learning and improving TBA construction document protocols
- Maintaining accurate time sheets
Working at TBA:
- Salary, commensurate with experience
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Matching 401K
- Paid vacation, holidays and sick time
- Paid parking
We are committed to growing, engaging, and supporting our team, and provide numerous opportunities throughout the year for employees to lead and/or participate in design charrettes; continue their education; attend educational and industry events; design and conduct relevant group outings; contribute to our blog; give and receive professional feedback; and celebrate career achievements. To promote a healthy work-life balance (and a healthy life, in general), we also offer flexible hours.
While a portion of our staff continues to work remotely due to COVID-19 precautions, we ask that this role report in-person. Our office space is frequently sanitized and allows for appropriate social distancing to protect our team’s wellness and safety.
Please email the following items to our Director of Operations, David Stone, at email@example.com:
- A cover letter addressed to David Stone, AIA that explains why you’re a great fit for this role and Tim Barber Architects
- Your resume
- Your portfolio (please send links or PDFs up to 8MB)
Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, drop-ins, or mailed applications, please!